Sunday, May 23, 2010

Humane Watch and the 50% solution

In the past few months, I've hesitated to mention HumaneWatch here because some of their Facebook fans are sort of obnoxious. However, they've recently made the HSUS an offer that I cannot refuse to mention:

If the CEO of the Humane Society of the United States will make a commitment to start sending just 50 percent of HSUS's income to hands-on U.S. pet shelters, HumaneWatch will disappear for good.


I didn't turn against the HSUS because HumaneWatch told me so. I turned against them after I read the numbers on their last annual reports. These reports are published at the HSUS' own web site, so I'm reasonably confident that no anti-HSUS group has cooked the books.

Therefore, I'm instantly enraged every time the HSUS runs television ads begging for money that will help shelter animals. Because hardly any of it will.

No comments: