Sunday, June 12, 2011

Give a pit a break!

(To those who have emailed me asking for news of Jody Jones, the new DAS manager: the reason I've not posted anything about her is that she's managing to keep a very low profile. Considering the mess she inherited, I don't blame her.)

However, while we wait for the next Animal Shelter Commission meeting and perhaps an appearance from Ms. Jones, we can still rely on the old guard to make us wonder.

Recently I switched my already-spoiled cat Natasha to the Blue Buffalo brand of cat food. While I don't mind the price, I prefer to buy the larger sized bag so my pet-sitter won't have to go out and find it when I'm out of town. Petsmart is the only place near my condo that sells this brand consistently and in larger bags.

Earlier today I was picking up some cat food at the Petsmart on Greenville Avenue just north of Lovers Lane and Central Market. As usual I stopped by the adoption center to see who the SPCA had taken in recently.

In the past, the SPCA often didn't bother to keep this adoption center at capacity, but these days they seem to be trying harder.

At about this time, I noticed a smallish pit bull being picked up from the Petsmart boarding area next to the adoption center. The volunteers for a rescue group that had set up mobile adoptions in the aisle nearby were petting the dog and making a general fuss over her. She was enjoying the attention and so was her owner.

Suddenly I saw a short woman half-drag the dog away, hissing "Not her!". The dog's owner looked confused but didn't protest. The rescue group volunteers shrugged. The hissing woman continued out the door, with the pit on a leash and the sheepish owner not far behind.

The dog looked sad. I think she'd been enjoying the petting.

The whole incident was really strange. I mean, who wouldn't want their dog to be admired? And the dog had no signs of mange or anything similar, so there shouldn't have been any reason for anyone not to pet her.

Suddenly I recognized the "Not her" woman. It was Rebecca Kornblum from the Dallas Animal Shelter Commission. I've mentioned her before on this blog; she always appears to be unhappy about something or another. I have yet to ever see her smile during a Commission meeting.

I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of the "Not her!" remark. Does anyone care to guess?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused, did Kornblum steal someone's dog or did the dog not belong to the other woman?

Feline Provocateur said...

The volunteers doing the mobile adoptions think this happened:

According to the conversation between Rebecca and the pet's owner, Rebecca had helped the pit's owner get the dog spayed. It was obvious that Rebecca and the pit's owner (a man) had met before.

Why Rebecca suddenly went postal and said "Not her!" is anyone's guess.

I may call Petsmart and find out which rescue group was there Sunday. Maybe they eventually figured it out.

I can't really say that it must have been a rescue group that Rebecca doesn't like, because I honestly don't know of a rescue group that she DOES like.

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of bravado about what's to be done. No action. My Daddy always said, "Girl, it's not what you say. It's what you DO that counts in Heaven."