Friday, March 19, 2010

Kent Robertson's Houston saga

The current head of Dallas Animal Services, Kent Robertson, plays crowds reasonably well when a news crew points a camera at him. I'll give him that much.

There's not much more I can give, though.

Those who have lived in Dallas for a while may remember that Mr. Robertson departed Dallas Animal Services for Houston in 2006. He returned to Dallas in 2008 - and a six-figure salary - after failing to do anything at all to improve things in Houston.

With whom do I have to sleep with to be paid so well for failing so miserably?

Nicole Sica did an admirable job of documenting Mr. Robertson's career highlights - both here and in Houston.

An excerpt - I've chosen it as I literally remember seeing the rescuer being interviewed on Dallas television's 6 o'clock news:

This one is just too easy. I wondered when I read this line how compassionate Robertson was before he came to Houston. What I found was definitely not encouraging. In February of 2006, just months before hi s move to Houston, Kent Robertson was informed that a colony of feral cats had been entombed under an apartment complex. Instead of helping the would-be rescuer retrieve the cats, he forbade her to tunnel an escape route, and said he would “help her” on Monday. This was on a Friday. On Monday, the good citizen was informed that if she returned to the property, she would promptly be arrested. Now that’s compassion.

The entire article is here, and worth your time.

No comments: